By Laura Kenyon
Making Homemade Chocolate
Make your own homemade chocolate candies and truffles with a chocolate mold and this simple recipe.
Chocolate by sflovestory via flickr
By Laura Kenyon
OverviewFew foods inspire the passion, devotion and cravings that chocolate can. Its velvety texture, rich creaminess and tantalizing sweetness draw many admirers. Those after a truly decadent chocolate experience may spend hundreds of dollars on gourmet chocolates but a similar experience can be created at home.
Handcrafting quality chocolates in one’s own kitchen is a rewarding experience. Mastering the art of tempering and molding chocolate takes practice, but it is a skill well-worth developing.
After all, who doesn’t appreciate a good piece of chocolate?Tempering the ChocolateStep 1Place the chocolate on the cutting board and, starting at one corner of the block, use the chef’s knife to chop the chocolate into 1/2-inch pieces (or smaller), cutting on a diagonal. Place 75 percent of the chopped chocolate in the glass bowl. Chop the remaining 25 percent into smaller pieces and set aside.Step 2Microwave the chocolate in the bowl at 1-minute intervals, with the microwave set to 50 percent power. Stir the chocolate with the rubber spatula between each interval and check its temperature. When the chocolate reaches 115 to 120 degrees F, remove it from the microwave, stir to remove any lumps and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.Step 3Stir the melted chocolate again. Add a handful of the chopped chocolate set aside earlier and stir until smooth. Stir in additional chocolate, if needed, until the melted chocolate reaches 86 degrees F for dark chocolate or 81 degrees F for milk or white chocolate.Step 4Raise the temperature of the chocolate to 89 degrees for dark chocolate or 86 for milk or white chocolate. Heat the bowl of chocolate in the microwave as outlined earlier, from 1 to 5 seconds (or more if needed, depending on the power of the microwave). When the chocolate reaches its appropriate temperature, it is tempered. When cooled, the chocolate will have an appealing sheen and a good snap when bitten. Use the chocolate immediately to preserve its temper.Molding the ChocolateStep 1Fill each of the mold’s cavities with chocolate using a teaspoon. Tap the mold on the counter gently to release any trapped air bubbles. Run the flat (non-sharp) edge of the knife across the mold to remove excess chocolate. The chocolate on the knife can be returned to the glass bowl.Step 2Let the chocolate set by placing the mold in a cool, dry place. The chocolates are ready to be released when they pull away from the mold slightly; the mold’s cavities will look a bit gray.Step 3Remove the chocolates from the mold by quickly but carefully flipping the mold over on a flat surface and tapping firmly. The chocolate should pop out easily; if not, place the mold in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes and try again.skill4ingredientA block of quality chocolate (such as Callebaut, Guittard or Valrhona)
Microwave-safe glass bowl
Instant read digital thermometer
Chocolate molds, cleaned and driedingredientsA block of quality chocolate (such as Callebaut, Guittard or Valrhona)ingredientsChef’s knifeingredientsCutting boardingredientsMicrowave-safe glass bowlingredientsRubber spatulaingredientsInstant read digital thermometeringredientsChocolate molds, cleaned and driedtipWork with chocolate in a cool, dry environment. Heat and humidity make tempering chocolate difficult.
Test the temper of the chocolate by pouring a line on a piece of parchment paper. Run your finger through the chocolate: If the line is clean and the chocolate holds its shape, it is tempered. If the chocolate appears grainy, oily or uneven, the chocolate is not tempered.
Different brands of chocolate have different melting, seeding and tempering temperatures. Consult the company’s website for detailed information.tipsWork with chocolate in a cool, dry environment. Heat and humidity make tempering chocolate difficult.tipsTest the temper of the chocolate by pouring a line on a piece of parchment paper. Run your finger through the chocolate: If the line is clean and the chocolate holds its shape, it is tempered. If the chocolate appears grainy, oily or uneven, the chocolate is not tempered.tipsDifferent brands of chocolate have different melting, seeding and tempering temperatures. Consult the company’s website for detailed information.keywordchocolate, chocolates, making chocolate, making chocolates, molding chocolate, homemade chocolate, handcrafted chocolate, candy makingkeywordschocolatekeywordschocolateskeywordsmakingkeywordschocolatekeywordsmakingkeywordschocolateskeywordsmoldingkeywordschocolatekeywordshomemadekeywordschocolatekeywordshandcraftedkeywordschocolatekeywordscandykeywordsmakingResourcesreferenceMolding with ChocolateresourceThe Chocolate Mold FactoryresourceAll Chocolate: For the Love of Chocolate
© Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved.